John McAleely’s Home Page
My Blog—Train of Thought
Its latest entry, published in January 2017: Out with the old, in with the new:
The rest of the blog.
After nearly four years, I’ve decided to move on from Canonical. I’d like to thank all the people I worked with for the chance to do some cool things, and learn so much.
This blog is very much an occasional thing for me, but there have been a few posts from my time at Canonical, and more comments than this blog has ever had. I learned that Ubuntu is so much bigger than any one project.
On Monday my new gig starts. I need to learn how to look after a team building the Android keyboard at SwiftKey, which is an exciting prospect. Last year, they were acquired by Microsoft, so this will also mark my return there. Microsoft was my first experience of making software, and that team set me off on the path I am still on. When I was last there, the 486DX2 was a thing, and IBM actually made PCs. I’m intrigued about what I will learn about the Microsoft of today!
- How to contact me. (Short version: email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- A couple of (not so) recent pictures of me.
- My Photo Album.
- As a long ignored hobby, I have written all the software you can download on this site.
- Another hobby is building and operating model railways, which I blog about on my workbench.
- I create this website. (That will change if other members of the family join me online).
- There are also other places on the net you can find me.
- How to say my surname.
- A very short autobiography.
- The blog I maintained while running Transmission Begins
- I published a lot of Psion related material in the 1990's
The web can be a great source of information you can't find elsewhere, and in that realm, I'd like to recommend “The Fine Art of Being Come Out To - A Straight Person's Guide to Gay Etiquette”. Very funny, and true enough. Sadly, the host appears to have gone, so the link is into The Internet Archive.